Photo by Munbaik Cycling Clothing on Unsplash.com
Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon
The Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon takes place each summer in downtown Ludington, where Ludington Avenue ends right at Stearns Park Beach. The event has been developed over a 15 year period and is now one of the most popular races in West Michigan.
About 400 participants from 21 states usually enter the Ludington Triathlon each year.
The Ludington area has the perfect setting for the triathlon, with its location right along Lake Michigan. Swimmers will enjoy the calm waters within the marina and along the breakwall to the lighthouse. Lakeshore Drive and Hamlin Lake provide a beautiful backdrop for both bikers and runners, as the course is relatively flat with little traffic.
Participants have three races to choose from:
- The Olympic Triathlon: 1000m swim, 40k bike & 10k run
- The Sprint Triathlon: 500m swim, 20k bike & 5k run
- The Sprint Duathlon: 2.5k run, 20k bike, 5k run
- The Olympic Aquabike: 1000m swim & 40k bike
- The Sprint Aquabike: 500m swim & 20k bike
- The Sprint KayaTri: 2 mile kayak/paddle board, 20k bike & 5k run
- The Super Sprint: 200m swim, 10k bike & 1 mi run
Two and three person relays are offered for both the Olympic and Spring Distance Triathlon. Top 3 Men and Women in each event will be awarded in 14 age categories. Registration cost ranges from $60-$130, depending on which events are chosen.
Packet pick-up is generally the day before from 2-5pm, and the morning of the race from 6-7:30am.
Participant Perks include:
- Custom event shirt
- Custom finishers medal
- Sponsor supplied samples
- Professional chip timing with results available online
- Sponsor supplied raffle and awards ceremony following the last finisher
- Post race snack table