Photo by Todd & Brad Reed Photography
Ludington Charter Boat Fishing
Ludington is well known as one of the best fishing ports on Lake Michigan, with many charter captains who are eager to make your fishing trip a successful one. Whether you’re a first-time angler, or an experienced fisherman, Ludington area charter captains will guide you in what to bring and what to expect on the big lake. Their boats include GPS, fishfinders, marine radios, and radar. You’ll have a safe and enjoyable fishing adventure, from captains who know what they’re doing and are eager to share the fun with you.
Rates on a charter boat are quite competitive and range from half day excursions to full day. All persons over the age of 16 are required by Michigan law to have a fishing license, and one-day licenses are available from sporting goods and retail stores in town.
It’s the perfect way to spend the day with friends or family, as your charter captain guides you to the best spots for catching trout, steelhead or salmon.
Charter Boat Fishing Tips
To begin, plan ahead and book your charter boat early in the season. This is very important as the summer fishing season is all too short and you don’t want to miss your chance for your preferred charter date. If you wait until the Lake Michigan fishing season is in full swing in August, you may be hard pressed to find a charter boat captain available for the date you want to fish.
How to Pick a Great Charter Boat & Captain
There are as many different types of boats and captains as there are fishermen. Having fun and catching fish is what it’s all about. The secret is to find a charter boat and captain that will suit your needs. Talk to the captain. Is he knowledgeable and fun? Is he someone you could spend eight hours with? Get to know your captain. Here are some of the questions you might ask:
- How many years have you been a captain?
- What size charter boat do you have?
- How many people will it accommodate?
- Do you have a clean stand-up bathroom
- What will we catch?
There are plenty of reasons why booking a fishing trip with a licensed charter captain is a great idea. They will provide a safe, guided adventure so you can focus on having a great day fishing with your friends or family!
What to Bring for Your Charter Fishing Trip
- Fishing License – **REQUIRED** – with a trout stamp for all fishermen who have reached their 17th birthday. Daily licenses are available.
- Soft soled shoes – The deck can get wet and slippery. No black or dark colored soles – they make marks.
- Sunglasses and sunblock – SPF 45 if you’re a “landlubber.”
- Hat, Warm Jacket, Rain Gear – It’s generally cool in the morning and believe it or not, it does rain occasionally.
- Food & Beverage – Check with your Captain regarding his policy on alcoholic beverages. Also your Captain may be able to provide food and beverage for an additional fee.
- Camera – To capture the magic moments and to prove you actually caught big fish.
- Cooler – to take home the catch. Your Captain will clean and bag your fish just the way you want them for the trip home. Nothing is better than fresh Michigan fish on the grill that very evening.
Get to Know the Ludington Charter Boat Association
Many of Ludington’s charter boat captains are members of the Ludington Charter Boat Association. The association’s mission is to help promote the Ludington area charter boat and sport fishing industry by participating in the following:
- Developing liaisons with state and federal fishery management agencies to insure the maintenance and the growth of the local fishery.
- Establishing the economic contribution of the charterboat industry to the Ludington area economy.
- Cooperating with local and state tourism organizations to develop action plans to promote and market Ludington area charterboat fishing.
- Setting standards of conduct to insure the integrity and quality of the Ludington area charterboat industry.
- Acting as the mechanism of education and information exchange of and between area charterboat captains.
- Insuring adequate financing to accomplish the aforementioned goals and other objectives of the association.
For more information about charter fishing in Ludington, contact Ludington Charter Boat Association:
5300 West US-10, Ludington, MI 49431
Discover more around Ludington!
What's happening now in Ludington?
Advertisement – Please scroll below for more Ludington fishing information.
More Ludington Area Fishing Information
“Fish on For Freedom” is a non-profit event that provides a free day of fishing to military veterans on Lake Michigan.
The Ludington area is a paradise for those who love boating and fishing. Numerous marinas rent a variety of boats and offer modern facilities.
Here you will find past fishing reports for the Ludington area, including Lake Michigan, PM Lake, PM River, and Hamlin Lake.
If there’s one thing that Hamlin Lake is known for, it’s excellent fishing. Catch crappie, bluegill, and more across thousands of acres.
Ludington’s natural resources, charter captains, and outfitters provide great salmon fishing on Lake Michigan and the Pere Marquette River.
Ludington fishing tournaments give anglers a chance to add a little money to their pocket in addition to the fish in their bucket.