Mason County Barn Quilt Trail
Photo by Timothy Eberly on Unsplash.com
Many Homesteads Make Up the Barn Quilt Trail
Mason County is home to dozens of barns, many of which have been in existence for a century or more. It was quite common for these barns to feature a variety of decorations, something that became a lost art in recent years. Now, as part of the Mason County Cultural Trail, a Barn Quilt Trail is taking shape.
Each quilt is actually an 8′ x 8′ plywood square in which the barn owner (or an artist of their choice) can paint a design. The barn owner is responsible for the cost of the squares, but is helping the community become a richer cultural area by displaying them.
Recently, there has been quite a change to the landscape with the addition of the majestic wind turbines throughout Summit and Riverton townships. The Fall Color Tour is best enjoyed in October when the red, gold and orange leaves are at their peak.
Take a relaxing drive following the trail, bring your camera and a picnic lunch, and make a day of it. It’s an activity that’s family friendly and absolutely free.
These are the barn quilts approved by the Cultural Economic Development Task Force. Dial (231) 480-3084 and use the following extensions for an audio narrative:
- (200) “Mariners Compass” at the Mason County Fairgrounds West Harness Horse Barn- 5302 U.S. 10, Ludington
- (205) “The Carpenters Wheel” located on the Springdale Morgan Farm- 7170 E. Dewey Rd., Fountain
- (201) “The Pine” at Historic White Pine Village– 1687 S. Lakeshore Dr., Ludington
- (209) “Blazing Star” on the Shagway Arts Barn- 5949 Shagway Rd., Ludington
- (207) “Lone Star” at the Ron & Carla Iris Farm- 2774 W. Victory Dr., Ludington
- (204) “Michigan Beauty” at The Jam Farm– 5075 W. Meisenheimer Rd., Ludington
- (202) “The Windmill” at the Fuhrman Farm- 4027 S Stiles Rd., Ludington
- (206) “The Lithuanian Quilt” on the George & Jill Budzysnski Farm- 3338 N. Campbell Rd., Ludington
- (208) “The Farmer’s Daughter” on the Jean & Shelly Sterley barn- 3966 Victory Dr., Ludington
- (203) “The Carpenter’s Wheel” at Debra Weaver’s barn- 4509 S. Schwass Rd., Scottville
- “Circle of Angels” on the Phillipi Quarter Horse Farm- 5641 W. Derek Rd., Ludington