The Ludington State Park offers winter activities. With snowshoeing tours, cross country skiing, and natural beauty, it’s a winter paradise!
Photo by Simon Hurry on Unsplash.com
Fish on for Freedom in Ludington
June 2015 marked the inaugural event, “Fish on For Freedom”, held in our home waters of Ludington as a token of thanks from our community to the men and women that have sacrificed so much in making this nation what it is today.
The nonprofit organization took applications for the tournament and then notified all participants of their acceptance into the event.
The captains line up their boats for a 6am tournament-style shotgun start outside the pierheads, then head off to fish until 12pm, when a welcome home procession led by the United States Coast Guard and Ludington Fire Patrol boat enter the harbor. After the boats are docked, participants are honored at a weigh-in event and luncheon for all guests and volunteers of the morning’s activities. After the fish have been weighed, guests fed, and fishing stories exchanged, awards are given for the day’s fishing activities.
The evening before the event, veterans are treated to a Meet & Greet with their captain and crew for the day of the tournament. All Participants must be present to register for the Thursday event.
Here's the typical schedule of events:
- 6pm- 8pm – Captain and Participant Meet and Greet at Harborview Marina- 400 S. Rath Ave., Ludington. All Participants must be present to register for Thursday’s event. Registration is mandatory for all participants.
- 5:15am – All Participants show up at their respective boats meeting place. Meeting places will be explained at previous evening’s meeting.
- 6am – Shotgun style start from outside of the Ludington pier heads.
- 11:45am – All vessels assemble outside out pier heads.
- 12pm – Welcome home procession led by United States Coast Guard and Ludington Fire Patrol boat.
- 1pm – Lunch Event
- 1:30pm – Fish weigh in starts followed by award ceremony.
For more information on Fish on for Freedom, please contact:
Stay tuned for information on Fish on for Freedom 2024!
What's going on now in Ludington?
Discover more to do in Ludington!
Advertisement – Please scroll below for more Ludington fishing information.
More Ludington Area Fishing Information
The very popular Ludington Offshore Classic Fishing Tournament sponsored by Captain Chuck’s takes place each July in Ludington.
This Hamlin Lake Fishing Map details what kind of fish you might catch in various sections of the lake. Helpful for all anglers.
Ludington fishing tournaments give anglers a chance to add a little money to their pocket in addition to the fish in their bucket.
Ludington’s natural resources, charter captains, and outfitters provide great salmon fishing on Lake Michigan and the Pere Marquette River.
There are many places for anglers to try their luck, and Ludington has such a great variety of fish. The area also has great charter captains.
No matter your experience level, Ludington area charter captains will guide you in what to bring and what to expect on the big lake.