The bronzed sculptures in Ludington’s 5-acre Waterfront Park sets it apart from other parks. The park is situated on the Lake Michigan inlet.
Mason County District Libraries
Photo by Mason County District Library
The Two Branches of the Mason County District Library Offer Great Programming for All Ages
The Ludington and Scottville Branches of the Mason County District Library are dedicated to providing a vast array of educational, fun, free programs to our communities. In addition to regularly scheduled programs, they frequently host special events for both kids and adults. All events/programs at the Mason County District Libraries are free.
As of August 25th, 2021, and in response to the substantial community spread of the Delta variant of the Covid-19 virus, the libraries are requiring visitors to wear a mask properly covering the nose and mouth while indoors. They will provide masks to those that do not have them. Those that can’t wear a mask are welcome to utilize curbside service. Children under age 12 must be accompanied by a parent. Current library hours are Monday-Friday from 9am-6pm and Saturday from 9am-1pm.
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 10 am- Outdoor Preschool Story Time. Dress for the weather and drop on in to the Ludington Library’s back yard for in-person Story Times. Social distancing and masking is required. Will be canceled if severe weather occurs.
- Fridays at 10am- Outdoor Preschool Story Time at the Scottville Library.
- Fridays from 11am-3pm – Fun Family Friday Craft Bags. The libraries will distribute Fun Family Friday Activity packets every Friday at both Library locations in Ludington and Scottville. The packets will be outside on the fence posts in Ludington’s back yard and on the clothesline in Scottville. In rainy weather, look for the packets under cover somewhere near the main door.
- Every Monday at 10am- Babytime Online. New videos every Monday at masoncounty.lib.mi.us/babytime. Join Miss Emily every week for a new Babytime recording with rhymes and songs about letters, numbers, our world, and our families.
- Every Tuesday at 10am- Preschool Story Time Online.
- Every Friday at 10am- Library Toys Adventures Online. Follow the Library Toys as they pursue adventures that young children can relate to.
For more information on the summer reading programs, visit masoncounty.lib.mi.us/srp
Below is the Regular Schedule for Programs, Pre-COVID:
Preschoolers and Kindergarteners
- Babytime: Stories for Babies – Mondays at 10am, Ludington Library.
- Preschool-K Story Time – Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays at 10am, Ludington Library. Fridays at 10am, Scottville Library.
Kids & Teens
- Creative Kids: Self-Directed Art, Games and Puzzles – Mondays, Tuesdays, & Fridays from 4-5:30pm; Saturdays from 9:30am-2:30pm, Ludington Library. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 4-5:30pm, Scottville Library.
- Fit Club – Wednesdays at 4-5pm, Scottville Library; Thursdays at 4-5pm, Ludington Library (Children 7 & older).
- Block Party with Lego Brand Bricks – Saturdays from 9:30am-2:30pm, Ludington & Scottville Libraries.
- Teen Games – Monday-Friday, 3:30-5:30pm, Ludington and Scottville Libraries.
- Teen Movie Night – First Thursday of every month, 6pm, Scottville Library (age 12 and up).
Annual Holiday Events
Every holiday brings a special celebration to the libraries. There are parties for Valentine’s Day, Mardi Gras, Easter, Earth Day, Halloween, and Christmas- always fun and always free!
Summer Fun at the Library
Summers are so much fun at the Mason County District Libraries, the kids may not want to go to the beach! The Summer Reading Program is for kids of all ages, with Read to Me for kids up to eight years, Independent Readers for those 5-13 years, and Teen Readers for 11-18 years. Incentives include book bags, local merchant gift certificates, books, and small toys. Just 20 minutes of reading a day!
During the summer months there are also weekly crafts for kids ages six years and older, Science Camps in July and many special programs as well as the ongoing weekly programs.
Weekly Summer Programs, Pre-COVID
- Preschool/Kindergarten Story Time – Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 10 am, Ludington Library. Fridays at 10am, Scottville Library.
- Creative Kids: Self-directed Art, Games and Puzzles – Mondays from 2-4pm; Tuesdays, Thursdays, & Fridays from 1pm-4pm; Saturdays from 9:30am-2:30pm, Ludington Library. Tuesdays & Thursdays from 1-4pm at Scottville Library.
- Fit Club – Wednesdays & Thursdays from 12:30-3:30pm, Ludington Library. Tuesdays at 4pm, Scottville Library (Children 7 and older).
- Block Party – Create with Legos. Saturdays from 9:30am-2pm, Ludington & Scottville Libraries.
- Quidditch – Fridays at 4pm beginning June 22nd, Ludington Library.
All events at the Mason County District Libraries are free.
The Mason County District Libraries Aren’t Just for Kids!
The Ludington and Scottville branches of the Mason County District Library also host recurrent programs for adults.
Programs for Adults
- Adult Craft Night – 1st Tuesday of the month (January 6th-May 5th, September 1st-December 1st) at 6 pm, Ludington Library.
- Adult Book Club – 3rd Tuesday of the Month year round at 1pm at the Scottville Library.
- Digital Downloads – Wednesdays from 5-8pm, Scottville Library.
History of the Mason County District Libraries
First built in 1906 after receiving a grant from Andrew Carnegie, the Ludington branch of the Mason County District Library is over 100 years old and is proud of its heritage and excited about the future.
The Scottville branch first opened in March 1906 with 2,500 books. Today, there are close to 70,000 books, as well as computer stations that the public can use for free. The goal of the library is children’s literacy- encouraging children to read and engaging their minds, hands, and curiosity.
Despite all the stimuli in today’s world–from movies and television to video games and ipods–it’s nice to know that libraries will always be here. The Mason County District Library is an integral part of our Ludington community, and will be for years to come.
For more information on the Ludington Branch:
217 E. Ludington Ave., Ludington, MI 49431
For more information on the Scottville Branch:
204 E. State St., Scottville, MI 49431
More Activities & Attractions in Ludington...
The Ludington Skate Plaza is a popular spot for kids with skateboards or in-line skates, and also draws spectators to Stearns Park.
The Mason County Sculpture Trail was launched in 2012 and includes nine sculptures in Ludington, Scottville, and Fountain.
The Barn Quilt Trail, highlighting the lost art of barn decor, is one of four trails that comprise the Mason County Cultural Trails.
The Lumber Heritage Trail, highlighting Mason County’s rich lumbering history, is one of four that comprise the Mason County Cultural Trails.
The fun doesn’t end when the sun goes down here in Ludington! Nightlife here includes festivals, cozy restaurants, and local performances.
The Ludington Area Center for the Arts (LACA) is the gathering place for community expression through arts and cultural experiences.
The S.S. Badger Carferry is a fun and relaxing shortcut across Lake Michigan between Ludington, Michigan and Manitowoc, Wisconsin.
Ludington has many beautiful beaches and parks to explore. Enjoy a day on the shores of Lake Michigan or take in the scenery at a local park.
Farm Markets & U-Pick farms offer locally grown and organic produce, flowers, plants, seeds, and more in West Michigan.